Monday, March 3, 2014

Visit to Jail Day 1 - Teresa

Visiting the Police Department I learned something new about Miranda rights. Before going I assumed police are required to read them when someone is arrested. The officers told us that they are only required to read people their Miranda Rights when they are being interrogated. The County Jail we visited was a lot more relaxed then I thought it would be. The inmates are allowed to attend classes and have books. The minimum security prisoners have a lot more freedoms than I thought they would. They can go out and get jobs and walk around in common areas and occasionally in the hallways with little direct surveillance. The relationship the officers have with the inmates is more relaxed than I previously assumed, it is more caring than harsh, but a level of professionalism is maintained at all times.

No comments:

Post a Comment