Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Kristina- day 2

As bad as I thought life was at the Belknap County Jail, the Nashua Street Jail in Boston was even worse. After yesterday's visit, the Belknap Jail seemed like an overnight camp rather than a jail. The inmates we saw in Boston yesterday were a lot more confined and treated a lot differently than the inmates in Belknap. The. Boston prisoners seemed to be talked down to much more by the guards and were not treated really like human beings at all. The officer made a point to say that he treats the inmates and speaks to them as he would want to be treated and spoken to, but I can't say I 100% believe him. One thing that really stuck out to me was when one of the inmates shouted at us, "This ain't no tourist attraction! We ain't no f*#@ing zoo animals!" The inmates were shouting at us a lot, but that one inmate's words stuck out to me because rather than trying to scare us, he told us how he was feeling, even though he probably didn't realize it at the time. He was telling us how the way he gets treated makes him feel like an animal, which most likely upsets, angers, and frustrates him. While he said that, an inmate at the Belknap jail whispered to us, "It really isn't that bad here!" Although I never intend on going to jail, if I were to go, I would way rather go to Belknap!

No comments:

Post a Comment