Thursday, March 6, 2014

Jackie Martel Day 4

When we reenacted an arraignment for our "clients" it was extremely engaging and gave me a different perspective of what a lawyer is really required to do. It was interesting because even though I was in front of my class mates, I almost felt nervous because the representation of the client I was given was entirely in my hands. The judge had the final overall opinion in the case, but the defense and prosecutors were the only ones that could contribute. We (playing the role of the defense attorneys) had to be very articulate and convincing, while only having met with our client for 5 minutes. Learning how to represent somebody in an arraignment made me appreciate what we see and hear about what lawyers have to do during trials because there has to be an immense about of preparation, not only for you and your client, but for what the other side is going to bring to the table as well.

This activity was a quick yet engaging way for us to apply everything we learned so far throughout the entire week into one mock trial, whether your part was a spectator, judge, lawyer, or even the criminal.

No comments:

Post a Comment