Monday, March 3, 2014

Kristina- Day 1

When people say the sound of a cell door closing sends shivers through your body, they aren't kidding. Going into the Belknap County Jail was like nothing I have experienced before. There was a clear distinction between the inmates and the officers, but I was surprised to see how well the officers treated the inmates and vise-versa. The relationship between the officers and inmates created,  what seemed to me, a healthier environment for both parties involved. I went into the jail thinking that all of the inmates would be confined behind bars screaming things at us and the guards as we walked passed, but I was very wrong. Besides the one guy who was in medium security that thought it would be funny to scare us by slamming on the glass separating us, the inmates weren't the mean scary people I thought they would be. After seeing how the jail is seen through the officers eyes, I am really looking forward to go into Boston tomorrow to get a chance to talk to the inmates and hear what they have to say about their experience in jail.

No comments:

Post a Comment