Saturday, March 8, 2014

Jackie Martel Final Post

Overall, I was impressed by the amount of professionalism that was prevalent this week. In media and on tv shows that we watch, we see corrupt and weighted systems to make the shows more interesting but during this week we didn't see that. What I saw were hardworking people whether it was a passionate judge, a lawyer content with his responsibilities, or a guard ready to take action to try and do the right thing. Each person we met with made an impact on my opinion and made me appreciate all of the jobs that are necessary to provide a fair and just legal system. The media also portrays trials and arrests as a quick and fairly simple process, but I later learned that it takes a lot even to just get a warrant to search somebody. Trials require many previous hearings, one being an arraignment which we got to witness. Those are quick meetings, but overall the entire process can be tedious and require focus and patience. I gained a lot more respect for correctional facilities after we visited because I didnt know how important their jobs were. My opinion about the entire legal system has shifted from seeing it as a corrupt and system that needs change, to now as a necessary tool to guide the nation into the right direction.

Thank you to Ms. G and Mr. Little for providing us with an amazing week!

No comments:

Post a Comment