Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Jackie Martel Boston

In Boston, after we experienced the Nashua Street Jail, we attended an Arraignment at the Boston Municipal Court. It was really interesting to be able to see a real arraignment and be able to compare it to the ones we see on tv. I watch Law & Order frequently and arraignments on that show are a lot more expedited in what they show on camera. There were a lot of details involved in the process and I never knew that a judge had to be so attentive to what each lawyer says, both the prosecutor and defense.

We also got to speak with the Chief Justice of the Boston Municipal Court. That was a really positive experience for me because I am hoping to become an attorney someday, whether it be defense or prosection. He gave light to both sides of the law because he has experienced being both and explained the difference between the two. He was very positive and showed a lot of appreciation for the work that everyone in the courtroom does and that made me want to become a part of the criminal justice system more than I thought. I felt excited and ready to learn more after we left that room, it was a great opportunity for everyone whether they just wanted to learn more about the system or even want to take part in it one day. It was an experience that I will not forget anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment