Saturday, March 8, 2014

Emily Cuthbertson - Final Post

This week was very informational and really fun to be apart of. Going into the week I had an assumption that all jails were the same. Over the week I learned that there are jails, prisons, and house of corrections facilities which are all different. My assumption was that in every jail there was a cell with two inmates and a rec area like the Nashua Street Jail, but I learned that a jail is just for pre trial inmates who have not been sentenced. I also learned that a house of corrections facility is for inmates sentenced under one year and a prison is for inmates with more than a one year sentence. It was also interesting to know that due to different reasons each prison is different. In the Nashua Street jail all inmates were on maximum security and could not leave their cell block without handcuffs, but in the Belknap Country House of Corrections the inmates could walk around free at the appropriate times. Overall this week I learned a lot and my assumptions were either proven to be true or they were completely wrong and I learned what actually happens. Visiting the jails and having a hands on experience seeing the inmates in there cells and the gross environment they lived in showed me that it is not a place I would want to live in.

No comments:

Post a Comment